Wednesday 12 March 2014

12.3.14

GOOD MORNING ONE AND ALL
I am happy to announce i feel wonderful. Well thats exaggerating just a bit, but considering how i felt this time 2 and 4 weeks ago, I'm buzzing, and i don't mean cos of the steroids either.
The treatment was straight forward. Had a fair bit of waiting around cos the drugs are never ready waiting even tho they've known for 2 weeks i will be there. But yesterday the nurses were run off their feet, more than usual. The nurses, i must say, have all been wonderful. Friendly, caring, helpful, and very kind and understanding. All except the nurse on the hotline that i came across after my 2nd treatment. But she doesn't work on the chemo ward (Dorset Cancer Centre, catchy name!), which is just as well cos i don't think the patients would turn up if she was their nurse.
Chatted with Dr Jack. I think he's falling for me!!! He pops in to see me regularly and yesterday, during a conversation about losing hair etc, he said, and get this for a chat up line, 'you still have your beautiful eyebrows!' And for a special treat for the new woman in his life (me, in case you've lost track), he wrote me up for a new anti-sickness tablet and some steroids, AND he said any problems, call  me! Needless to say, last night i didn't call him, I'm playing hard to get.
So, uneventful treatment. I dozed for hour and a half, which was good. Had a sandwich for lunch. The first mouthful tasted of nothing - due to the treatment, not hospital food. The nurse recommended putting crisps in it, Me Linda was packed off to the the shop and came back armed with ready salted crisps and a twirl. The Cadbury variety, i don't mean she danced into the room.
The sandwich was a success, and so was the twirl. Now however the taste buds have gone again.
Everything tastes of cardboard for a couple of weeks. Which you would think would curb my appetite, but with the steroids, no way. Sam is on kitchen duties this week. If he sees me come in, he is under strict instructions to lock all the cupboards, block the fridge and even hide the dog food!
Usually, or last time anyway, i start to go down towards the end of the treatment. I go very quiet, very pale and tired looking, and i just wanna go home.
This time it was different. We laughed and giggled all the way home. Linda and i had a drink in the summerhouse before she got home to her husband.
The evening was spent watching tv, laptopping (if thats a word), messaging friends who kindly asked how i was, and i cooked a sumptuous meal of Heinz spagetti and a toasted muffin, which hit the spot. I apologise in advance for the menu for this week. It will be full of crap more than likely. Foods that i can doctor to be spicy, that i fancy. A bit like pregnancy again. Heinz beans with brown sauce and grated cheese is a favourite of week one. Thats why on week 2 theres usually photos of the posh nosh from restaurants i visit. Week 2 my taste buds seem to come back to life, and i take advantage.
Well following this dose, i have a week 3 as well. I hear you gasp in amazement. I have a PET scan in week 2, so the the chemo is the following week. I have a gap week! Im so excited. Ill have taste buds, feel more normal, and i can get to visit some friends that i haven't seen for a while. I might be able to instruct Sam to do some gardening too, if the weather stays good.
So on that euphoric note, I'm off. I got an appointment with daytime tv, i may even be able to tolerate Jeremy Kyle today!

No comments:

Post a Comment