Friday 11 July 2014

11.7.14

And she's off.......
7.30am and I'm already wound up.
I found a link on FB saying too much sun can cause skin cancer, but too little can cause Vit D deficiency, and more worrying, suncream has such toxic ingredients that it can be detrimental to your health, if not carcinogenic!

http://wellnessmama.com/2558/homemade-sunscreen/

I then found this link that not only tells you how to make your own sunscreen, but also directs you to a site which tells you about the sunscreens we buy and which have bad chemicals etc.
I put it on the Hodgkins site and asked what others thought.
You always get one smart ass don't you? In fact she's not so smart, cos she commented without reading what was on the link.

Smart Ass - Buy some! Make sure it has 4 or 5 star UV rating on the back of the bottle!
Smart Ass All those things say "oil"...what do we use oil for...?.....cooking!
Me -  I have bought some but I'm concerned about the many claims that they have toxic ingredients which are carcinogenic.
Me - We also use 'oil' as aromatherapy which is beneficial to health and wellbeing, its used in cars and machinery, toiletries, industry, and most aspects of our lives!
Smart Ass - Yes, we use oils in many other things...but we don't put them in direct heat...on our skin!!! I would rather use sun cream. There are a lot of 'scare factors' these days. Everything you use/eat has had a story that it causes cancer.
I've never heard about anyone getting cancer from using sun cream....just from too much exposure to the sun - and not wearing it.
Me - Yes there are a lot of scare factors and we don't know if were coming or going most of the time. It makes it very difficult for us lot! But a lot of the chemicals in sunscreen, and cleansers and moisturisers, body lotions etc are derivatives of oil. A lot from paraffin and petrol based products. We put them on our skin all the time. It may well be better that we use sunscreen, i don't know. It was just a question to see if anyone had any advice or knowledge on these links about suncream being carcinogenic. Ive never heard about anyone getting cancer from sun cream, but how would we know? They rarely know for sure what has caused it. I just wish there could be some definite guidelines and not companies flogging their own stuff for gain.

I get her point, and it had been put across by others and myself in the thread, but i felt her first 2 comments were rude, belittling and sarcastic, and i don't think thats necessary on a cancer site!
There was another couple of ladies who had sensible valid points to make.  I wasn't suggesting anyone should stop using cream, or should make it themselves.
Rant over!
Anyway the rest of the day has been fine. Although it is very muggy and on occasion I've felt my hair get a little sweaty! I think tonight may be a hot one.
The excitement of the day was picking up my table and chairs that i won on Ebay.
Oh my, its wonderful.
I need to buy new cushion covers for it. And I'm not sure where to put it at the mo. But i am very happy with my purchase. The people i bought it off had a gorgeous house in Ferndown and they had a gorgeous labradoodle called Tansy.
I am now relaxing with a cup of tea, and see those bickies on the table in the photo, they've all gone!





No comments:

Post a Comment