Tuesday 10 June 2014

10.6.14

It feels weird (that word again), sat in bed at 6am, popping pills. 4 aspirin and 8 other blood thinners. I shouldn't get a headache today!
Not feeling too stressed about my impending doom thanks to Debbie explaining everything, and a few others telling me of their experiences.
Arrived at the hospital and left standing for a while until someone noticed Linda and i were there.
Yes my faithful Linda was by my side, as usual. Always there to support me.
Eventually shown to my room. Nice nurses admitted me and one lady was able to practice her darts moves on me. Unfortunately she didn't get a bullseye, despite my huge veins. She offered to try another vein but i very discreetly suggested i have someone who can get the cannula in first go so as to save my veins from collapsing as i need them for chemo. She took it very well and they sent in a HCA called Jill who managed to whack in a huge green cannula before i even blinked.
Dr Talwar called in to see me to explain everything again. He's very nice.
Eventually i was wheeled down to the 'lab' where i waited for about 40 minutes and i managed to hassle nearly everyone who passed me for a cup of tea. I never got it, but it put a smile on their faces. One man came to check i was the next patient and realising i was the right patient, he said to me, 'Good man!'
Flipping heck. I know i have very little hair but thats ridiculous.
They're ready for me. Im walked in, gown flapping at the back. And I'm placed  on the rack, sorry i mean table!
Electrode pads placed on my chest, iodine painted all over my right arm/wrist, antibiotics flushed into my cannula and I'm ready for action.
Diazemuls given via cannula and a lovely warm glow takes over me.
Dr Talwar asks if I'm feeling ok.
Absolutely wonderful, i reply. Before i know it he's stuck a needle in my wrist to anaesthetise the area and then i hear him say, the catheter is in.
Right coronary artery normal. Left coronary artery normal. You can go home.
Well you might think that a good result. And it is. But it doesn't answer the question, why do i have damage to my heart? Why am i short of breath? Why do i have a tachycardia? Why can i not get on and paint my garage?
Tune in for the next instalment.
I beam at Linda as I'm wheeled down the corridor towards my room.
I tell her my story,  and we sit and analyse the whys and wherefore for the next 3 hours! Its what we do best.
Its Lindas anniversary today, so i send her packing. Sam takes over the duty now. He's on standby ready to pounce when i say the word.
I sit and twiddle my thumbs for a bit whilst waiting for the nurse to come and let some air out of my arterial pressure bracelet on a regular basis. I mull over the thought of the arterial blood pumping out during the night. Not only will i be stone dead, i will also have a very mucky bed.

Snazzy little thing, innit?
Eventually the bracelet is deflated, and after some begging, is removed and the cannula in the opposing arm is also removed. The dressing from where 'Eric Bristow' attempted to cannulate me is removed to show a lovely big bruise.

Then i am discharged into the capable hands of Sam. He wanted to wheelchair me from the ward to the car, but I'm far too tough for that.
Happier at home, without an answer, but the knowledge that i have normal coronary arteries. I can almost start having salt, fat and sugar!!!!
Not really. Ive really enjoyed living healthy for 2 days!
Sam prepares me a mackerel salad followed by berries and a caramel soya mousse!! Whilst i telephone some close friends and family to tell them of my day.
All in all, not a bad day. Im very proud of myself for being a brave soldier, yet again.
My theory. And it may be completely wrong, but its my theory all the same.........

I had a virus which gave me a bit of myocarditis (inflammation of the heart) which has given me scar tissue to my heart and a fast pulse and shortness of breath. Chemo has caused some lung damage (maybe temporary) also causing shortness of breath. Chemo has caused terrible fatigue which causes shortness of breath. Steroids have caused fluid retention and weight gain which causes shortness of breath. Therefore, i have shortness of breath.
Maybe/hopefully it will be temporary and after steroids and chemo have vamoosed, maybe i will start to lose my 'puff'. That would be nice if it were true. Maybe it is????


No comments:

Post a Comment