Saturday 11 January 2014

This blog is a record of my journey after being diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma.
Its weird to have no idea what is to become of me. What will I go through? Who will help me, and who will I help? Who will I meet? And will it make me a better person?
Firstly I spose I should give an account of how I came to this.

In June 2013 I moved house and there was nothing but trouble associated with the conveyancing and the house move. I moved from my sons home, to a friends empty house for 2 months until my house was vacated and ready for me to move in and make my mark on it.

So June it was. I found I had a few health problems, all stress related. Bloated, vomiting, stomach pains. The doctor diagnosed Irritable Bowel Syndrome and i was treated and responded well. I happened to mention i had a gland up in my groin. It wasn't even commented on by my GP, so i assumed it was just 'one of those things'. My bloods were a little raised, ESR and Eosinophils. But, I was reassured it was nothing to worry about as we couldn't find a problem that would cause these abnormalities.

About October time I revisited the surgery and saw a different doctor. She suggested we scan the annoying article.

About 6 weeks later I received my appointment for the scan so off I toddled. I was told it was inconclusive so I needed surgery to remove the glands and send them to histology to find out what they were.

The doctor was very sweet! He told me he was very sorry to give me this news just before Christmas. It could be nothing, but it could be sinister so we need to act quickly. Put the fear of God into me.  'They will want to give you a full body scan to see where else it is!' I felt he had jumped the gun. The report said it could be nothing. What a scaremonger I thought. It seems he was right.

The gland was removed, tested and the surgeon told me, 'I'm sure its nothing, you have no other symptoms. Don't worry.'  Result day, I called in to the hospital just before going to work on a night duty and he told me I had Lymphoma. 'Its nothing,' he said, 'Its completely curable, nothing to worry about.' I wonder if he would have been worried if it were him that had the diagnosis, or his family member.

I went to work in a state of shock. I really thought it was nothing. I told my friend and my children (23, 25 and 27), my nursey friend, who really made me feel a bit better, and my boyfriend. A few others were told throughout the evening. I cried a bit, not much. Whats the point? It just gives me a headache and a blocked nose!

Thats where I am now. Ive told quite a few of my friends. Ive joined a support group on Facebook. Everyones been very kind and very helpful. And the support group is an absolute must. Im happy knowing I can lean on them all there, and as payment for all their kindness and help, I will be there for future sufferers.

Now on with my journey. My first appointment with my haematologist is on tuesday. Im sort of looking forward to it to get some personal information about my very own lymphoma. A little scared, but hey ho, thats life.

No comments:

Post a Comment