Saturday 25 January 2014

25.1.14

Private v NHS
I have no problem with the NHS treatment. I use it most times when i need to. BUT.....i have private insurance. No big fancy la di da insurance which allows me to visit Harley Street and stay in sumptuous hospitals. Its a Trust Care Insurance, which means sometimes you use NHS hospitals, but you may get in quicker. There are a few other benefits but I'm not sure what they are! I have the insurance because I was a carer to my disabled son for many years and it was to ensure i was able to get myself fixed if need be, so i could carry on looking after him. Its worked for about 15 years.
Now i have cancer.
I have been able to get scans etc a little quicker and i have a wonderful Consultant Haematologist, who is also head of haematology at the NHS i will be using for my chemo. So in some way i am lucky to have insurance, but i do have to pay for it.
However imagine my horror when i find I am not allowed help with a wig, free prescriptions, amongst other benefits that NHS patients get.

My argument :-
I pay for private insurance, but i also pay tax and insurance so i pay for NHS.
If i want to have something done on the NHS and not private, i am entitled to.
If i had my scans and chemo on the NHS it would cost the NHS thousands of pounds, and i would have help with my wig!
So going privately, I am saving the NHS thousands of pounds.

I strongly believe in fairness.

Im a little annoyed. I have bought a wig, a cheaper one, so its not about that. Its the principle. I really want to fight and point out this is wrong in my opinion so that other people in my position get the help they need. But I'm not sure after i start chemo that i will have the fight in me.
We will see!


No comments:

Post a Comment