Saturday 18 January 2014

18.1.14

Well I'm still here! I had my scan yesterday but it was such a busy day and evening that i didn't have time to blog!
I was quite anxious about the CT scan. And for no reason.
I had the lovely Linzi, one of my supportive friends, and all round ray of sunshine,  round for a few hours to keep my mind occupied. She also brought me some choccy bickies. Love her cotton socks. Just wish she wouldn't worry so much about me.
I was Nil By Mouth from 12.30 apart from water. I had some mushroom soup for lunch at 12 and I was starving by 2.30!
Linda, my treatment support angel, and absolute star arrived for me at about 2.30. We set off on our journey to the hospital and i was feeling ok ish. On arrival we couldn't park - a little stressful. Arrived at Xray department and was given a jug of water to drink. Not too difficult. Then i was invited into the X-ray suite. I took every step in trepidation - i was heading to my doom. The radiologist was lovely. She explained everything. Stuck a cannula in my arm and then took a couple of dummy shots.
"Take a deep breath. Hold it, don't swallow." Snap "and breath normally".
She came back in the room and initiated the scanner to inject the dye. This was the bit i was worried about. Would it make me nauseous? I hate feeling nauseous. I felt a very mild metallic taste in my mouth and then a warmth rolling down my body. It was remarkably pleasant. She left the room, and ordered me to hold my breath, took the snap and all done. That easy! I waited for 5 minutes whilst she checked all had gone according to plan. Removed the cannula and sent me on my way.
Im not looking forward to another one, but when i do have to have it, i shan't worry so much.
We then went to the cafe for a hot chocolate and a Twirl.
I then was delivered safely home and transformed myself into a party animal and danced the night away. This scan business....not too bad is it?

1 comment:

  1. If it's like my story, you'll find your friends will worry even more than you do! I guess that's natural though, and can be helpful when you have to calm them down; helps yourself calm down too :)

    I was the same with the CT! And then the biospy, and then the PET. By the time I went for the actual chemotherapy I wasn't nervous at all, haha! If you are, just remember -"THIS WILL KILL THE CANCER", try be excited instead :) Do you know yet if they are doing a PET scan? It's like a CT except they inject your veins with a radioactive dye. You can't be around small kids and pregnant women for few hours after it. Sounds scary but it's not bad at all -I was so comfy during mine that I nearly fell asleep, LOL! x

    ReplyDelete