Wednesday 22 January 2014

22.1.14

Pah!
Scans! Nothing to be frightened of.
I am the biggest wimp in the world, but i pfft my lips and raise my eyebrows at scans!
The PET scan was a doddle. I arrived at the hospital and a lovely girlie talked me through what was gonna happen. I was taken into an 'office' full of equipment, in a huge mobile unit. I was asked a few questions and signed some forms giving permission for radiation etc, and when i say 'signed some forms', my arm was aching after id finished. I could see the scanner through the window and i felt a lump in my throat. I wanted to run outside and sit with Linda who was lording it up in the waiting room with a bottle of red bull and a magazine!
Adam the technician inserted a cannula in my arm and i never felt a thing. In fact i complimented him on his technique. I always feel a compliment is nice, and it ensures they like you and continue to be nice to you!!

So all ready with my cannula, i very carefully crept through to my comfy chair. For goodness sake, i had a cannula in my arm and yet i looked like i had a renal dialysis machine strapped to me! Drama queen! I made myself comfortable.  iPad, magazine, bottle of water, and emergency call button. Adam carried a humorous looking box in with him with a radiation sign on it and removed a metal syringe. All a bit surreal! Then he asked if i was in agreement to him injecting me with a radioactive solution.
Before I knew it, i was glowing like a good 'un!!! Actually i didn't feel a thing, it had no physical effect on me.
I sat for an hour to let the medium travel to all the active parts of my body - most active being my mouth and the finger that types my pin number in on a credit card machine!
I read my iBook, played a game, messaged people on FB, noticed Linda's comment about her needing a wee but couldn't find a non radioactive loo, she always thinks of herself!!! Don't worry about me and my radiation fallout!
Then I was told to go and have a wee on the radioactive loo and then i was called in to the scanner. Climbed on and was covered with a blanket and lay there waiting, waiting, waiting. It seemed like a lifetime, but was about 2 minutes. My hands were raised above my head and then i felt the trolley raise up and then go through the scanner. I closed my eyes. I was worried about claustrophobic feelings. I forced myself to open them to find there really was no problem. I stayed in one position for about 15 minutes while the scanner zoomed me about (exaggeration there!) and then i was catapulted (also exaggeration) out the way i went in! That was it!
I can quite honestly say the most distressing bit was when i was in my comfy chair and the door wouldn't shut properly and the cold was coming in!
The second most distressing bit was trudging round PGH looking for a loo for Linda.
I am now drinking copious amounts of water to flush the radioactivity out of me. And I've been told to flush the loo twice, just to make sure the radioactivity is flushed away!
Another plus - i was given a cd of my scan. Im so desperate to see it but my macbook doesn't read a windows disc!!! I also had strict instructions not to try and diagnose myself!!!
Another mountain climbed today, which turned out to be a molehill!



No comments:

Post a Comment