Friday 24 January 2014

24.1.14

Another day, another test!
Respiratory function tests
This is the one i wasn't worried about, and i was right!
It was weird though. I had to put a mouthpiece on the end of a long pipe in my mouth, a clip on my nose,  and blow into the pipe which measured :-

1.  How much air I took into my lungs.
2.  How much air i could blow out, and how fast.
3.  How well my lungs deliver oxygen to my blood.
4.  How well gases are absorbed into my blood from my lungs.

The technician told me, with a twinkle in his eye, he was gonna make me huff and puff. And he certainly did that. Talk about bossy.....'breath in, hold it, breath out, a little bit more, and hold it, breath normally. Take a deep breath, as deep as you can and then blow out really fast and hold. Im gonna pump some helium in and i want you to hold your breath.........' and so on and so forth of july!!!
He pumped other gases in and made me hyperventilate.
I had it in my mind i was gonna have to run on a treadmill, so i prepared myself for this by wearing high boots! My logic is this. He takes one look at my boots and says, 'never mind about that bit!' But it was never part of the test. I feel cheated.
He said i was normal!! Something i doubt very much.
It was so traumatic that Linda and I had to go for lunch ........again! Third day in a row i think.

Well thats it for the investigations for the moment.
Monday is CH day. I am invited to Poole General Hospital at 11.30 to start my chemo. Something that I'm not looking forward to, but it has to be done. At the moment i have some cancer in my body that i really don't like being there. The chemo is to kill it, so i will look at it positively.
It may make me feel tired. Oh no, don't say i will have to lay on the sofa in front of This Morning on tv, watching Phillip Schofield, with a quilt and a hot water bottle.
It may make me feel rough, possibly nauseous. I will have anti emetics for the nausea.
More worrying, i may not be able to go to lunch with Linda every day!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Jill

    I found on your facebook this blog of you and did not kknow what was going on. I am so sorry that this happened to you. I have read your blog and think it is a good way to express yourself and it is very good for other people to read to. You don't know it perhaps but Wim was diagnosed coloncancer in 1997 so we know how you must feel, as if everything is falling to pieces! Wim has had some surgery's and he healed well and everything is oke so I hope you can stay positive and keep your spirit up although it will be very difficult ofcourse but keeing positive is a must! Hugs and kisses, Hanny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hanny
      Thanks for your comment. Im doing fine thanks. Staying positive and its amazing how something like this makes you feel differently about things. I remember you told me about Wim. Glad he's doing well now.
      Thank you for the hugs and kisses, greatly received. Jill xx

      Delete