Wednesday 24 February 2016

23.2.16

Part 2

Kickman line done. It was nothing to worry about. George the radiologist was lovely, he chatted all the way through. The local anaesthetic stung but that was all, and there was a lot of real shoving to get the catheter in, but all done now, and I'm on the ward.
The chemo has started. Ive had saline, mannitol (for kidneys, to encourage more peeing) cytarabine and now etoposide running the same time, and these will run for 4 days. It would be nicer if they had better names. Instead of cytarabine, how about angels footprints, or sweet lily fluff. It would be less stressful than having cytarabine.
I must say i was waiting to start feeling bad and it arrived around 8pm. I felt slightly nauseous and headachey, but i was given something for nausea and that helped. Im still headachey but can cope with that, and theres always some paracetamol if needed.
I got through the night, regardless of being woken at 2am to have my obs (BP pulse temp and O2 saturation) done, and visiting the loo every couple of hours to pee into a paper mache bedpan! Im still headachey, and joy of joys my taste buds have gone. Even water tastes revolting.
Feeling a lot better following 2 of those little life savers, paracetamol, I've showered, tidied up my bed space, done my eye drops, 3 on the cheek, 1 in the eye! Now waiting for the nurse to come and unattach me from my shackles so i can get my top half of clothes on. Bless 'em, the nurses are so busy so I've walked a marathon up and down the ward corridor, 1 for exercise, and 2 so as the nurse may remember me and let me get dressed. I should add, I'm not doing my marathon topless, that would be ridiculous and down right dangerous to some of the weaker patients. I have my animal print dressing gown on, in case i need to sprint. Which is lucky, cos theres just been a crash call (when theres an emergency) and i had to sprint out of the way of a stampeding male nurse.
Thoughts go to the lady concerned.
All back to normal now and i am fully clothed, minus a bra cos of the Kickman Line. Note to self, don't sprint too often without a bra, it could be dangerous.

No comments:

Post a Comment